Financial Assistance for Melanoma Patients
Not only is it important to learn about all of the melanoma treatment options after a diagnosis, but you should also learn about all of the financial assistance resources available. Below are a variety of organizations, links and contacts to help you if your melanoma diagnosis becomes a financial burden on you and your family. We encourage you to take advantage of some or all of these resources. If you know of a helpful resource that is missing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pharmaceutical Patient Assistance Programs
- Amgen’s Assist Program® (Imlygic®)
- ArrayACTS™ (Braftovi™; Mektovi®)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Access Support® (Yervoy®; Opdivo®)
- Genentech’s Access to Care Foundation® (Zelboraf®; Cotellic®)
- Novartis’ Patient Assistance Now® (Tafinlar®; Mekinist®)
- Merck’s Access Program® (Keytruda®)
Government Agencies & Other Organizations
- Government Benefits – find benefits you might be eligible for
- US Dept. of Health and Human Services – find free or reduced cost healthcare
- Cancer Support Communities
- Patient Advocate Foundation – find assistance with insurance issues
- Assistance Fund – a non-profit finanical aid foundation
- Patient Access Network (PAN) Foundation – an independent charitable foundation providing financial support for out-of-pocket medication costs
- Patient Services Inc. – a non-profit premium and co-payment foundation
- The Healthwell Foundation – when health insurance is not enough
- Kelly’s Dream – melanoma awareness and financial assistance for patients in the state of Maryland
Many hotels near cancer centers and major healthcare facilities offer discounts to patients. Below is a list of housing resources for patients and their families when they travel for medical treatment. Please contact the treatment centers directly via their websites or toll-free numbers for more information.
- American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge – find a Hope Lodge in one of 22 states
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (Boston, MA)
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, PA)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA)
- Hosts for Hospitals (Philadelphia, PA)
- Joe’s House – a nationwide lodging guide for cancer patients
- Johns Hopkins (Baltimore, MD)
- Mayo Clinic (Arizona, Florida and Minnesota)
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX)
- UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center (Chapel Hill, NC)
Travel Assistance – Flights
Though some airlines offer compassionate airfare, similar to bereavement airfare, the following organizations help people in need seek free air transportation to specialized health care facilities.
- Air Care Alliance
- Corporate Angel Network Inc.
- Mercy Medical Airlift
- The National Patient Travel Center
Do you know of a financial assistance organization that needs to be added to this list? If so, please email email@example.com.