Work with Us!
The Development Assistant is an organized, creative, customer service focused and detail-oriented professional who can communicate and work seamlessly with volunteers, donors, and staff. The Development Assistant will support the Development team by providing administrative assistance for events and development projects and will provide excellent customer service to MRF constituents.
The Development Assistant will report to the Chief Development Officer but work closely with multiple members of the MRF staff including but not limited to: Gala Development Officer, Miles Development Officer, Development Associate and Events Manager. The Development Assistant contributes to the MRF’s organizational effectiveness by supporting fundraising events and campaigns.
- Support the coordination of mailings and distribution of materials (post cards, solicitation letters, invitations, flyers, etc.) for the Miles for Melanoma 5K program and the national Gala series.
- Maintain/triage email and phone communications for the Miles for Melanoma 5K program and the national Gala series.
- Under supervision of the Chief Development Officer, assist the Development Department and coordinate with Programs/Communications departments on various annual and special campaigns, grant administration, research, stewardship and planned giving outreach.
- Support the Events Manager and Development Associate with logistics of packing and shipping items for development events such as Miles for Melanoma 5K program, the national Gala series and CommUNITY fundraising program.
- Assist the Chief Development Officer with prospect research, proposal tracking and updating the major gift portfolio.
- Support the Development Department with programming logistics related to livestream, video production and programming, securing headshots and bios from speakers/presenters, and other administrative needs as identified.
- Support the Development Department with coordination of event registrations and other event and fundraising related needs.
- Attend fundraising events (as needed) such as the Miles for Melanoma 5K program and the national Gala series.
- Work with MRF vendors on projects related to development needs.
- Prepare and actively participate in Development team and staff meetings.
- 1-2 years of experience in fundraising or communications, or related experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft office suite, integrated documentation, and virtual communication tools.
- High attention to detail, extremely organized and the ability to multi-task multiple projects at one time.
- Flexible and responsive to sudden matters that may arise or become short-term, high priority tasks.
- Team-player with a positive attitude who is able to effectively work with MRF staff and multiple constituents.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service.
- Some travel may be required.
- The position is based in Washington, DC.
- 4 year degree required.
The MRF is looking for bright, enthusiastic interns who have a desire to learn more about melanoma and/or the nonprofit world. Opportunities are available year-round, and may include positions in Education, Events or Development/Fundraising. For more information, please email [email protected].