Work with Us!
The Development Officer will engage in a variety of fundraising activities to support the overall revenue goals of the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF). He or she will raise $1,700,000 through the MRF’s national gala program (Denver, Philadelphia, Chicago and New York). The Development Officer will be responsible for building and managing committees, cultivating and soliciting donors and helping to engage volunteers throughout the organization. He or she will also play an integral role in the MRF’s three-year Strategic Plan in which development/fundraising is a key focus area.
● Manage and steward donors, committee members and event volunteers for deeper engagement within the organization
● Cultivate, solicit and steward past and new sponsors (individual and corporate)
● Set event timelines
● Coordinate and plan the needs of each event with the Events Manager
● Identify and recruit key honorees, co-chairs and committee members
● Host monthly committee meetings (conference calls)
● Cultivate, solicit and steward host committee members, past sponsors and solicit new individuals and companies for sponsorship support
● Develop, maintain and track each gala budget
● Reconcile each event with Raiser’s Edge NXT
● Solicit in-kind donations
● Partner with the Director of Corporate Relations to solicit national sponsorships and local sponsorships
● Collaborate with the communications team to ensure the events reflect approved MRF branding and messaging
● Partner with the Individual Giving Officer to transition event donors to annual fund donors to major gift donors
● Four to six years of fundraising experience
● Experience cultivating low to mid-level donors
● Outstanding attention to detail, organizational skills and people skills
● Experience soliciting and closing gifts
● Experience with Raiser’s Edge NXT
● High attention to detail and the ability to multi-task multiple projects simultaneously
● Team-player with a positive attitude who is able to effectively work with multiple constituents
● Excellent communication skills
● Outstanding customer service
● Able to travel extensively (20%), heavier during event season
● Position is based in Washington, DC office
Individual Giving Officer
The Individual Giving (IG) Officer is a strategic and accomplished fundraiser with experience in major donor and annual donor discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. The IG will raise funds for the multiple priorities of the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) which encompass the research grant program, education initiatives and advocacy efforts. The IG will also be responsible for building and growing the MRF’s pipeline of donors through the direct mail program. He or she will manage a portfolio of 100+ donors, plan stewardship events and create cultivation opportunities around the MRF’s existing events such as the Wings of Hope gala series and Miles for Melanoma 5K Run/Walks.
● Raise $1,000,000+ through identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual donors to include annual fund and major gifts.
● Develop and manage the direct mail program.
● Collaborate with the programmatic staff to identify priorities for individual funding.
● Create and manage a revenue and expense budget as approved by the CEO.
● Work with Development Committee on fundraising campaigns and priorities.
● Provide feedback for a larger development communications calendar specifically focused on fundraising with the MRF’s communications team.
● Develop and implement an annual stewardship plan for major and mid-major donors.
● Develop a strategy around #GivingTuesday, Melanoma Awareness Month and other fundraising appeals.
The MRF is looking for bright, enthusiastic interns who have a desire to learn more about melanoma and/or the nonprofit world. Opportunities are available year-round, and may include positions in Education, Events or Development/Fundraising. For more information, please email email@example.com.