2. A Note to Users Outside of the United States. Your Personal Data may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including the United States, where laws regarding processing of Personal Data may be less stringent than the laws in your country. We adhere to the United States / European Union Data Protection Safe Harbor Arrangement, which can be located at http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
3. Types of Data We Collect. The MRF collects Personal Data and Anonymous Data from you when you send us information or communications and/or when you use the Service. “Personal Data” means data that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, as well as any other non-public information about you that is associated with or linked to any of the foregoing data. “Anonymous Data” means data that is not associated with or linked to your Personal Data; Anonymous Data does not permit the identification of individual persons. We collect Personal Data and Anonymous Data, as described below.
3.1 Personal Data You Provide to Us. We collect Personal Data from you, such as your first and last name, e-mail and mailing addresses, and phone number, when you do any of the following:
- Donate money through the Service;
- Sign up for an online newsletter or other informational or promotional communications;
- Sign up as a volunteer or member;
- Create or modify your account on the Service;
- Provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail or the Service;
- Elect to post or submit messages, questions, comments, or other content to the Service; or
- Provide information at any point in the Service that states that Personal Data is being collected.
3.2 Personal Data Collected via Technology. To make our Service more useful to you, we collect Personal Data from you through our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) and/or third party tools, including:
- Browser type, operating system, and Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet, which may vary from session to session);
- Date/time stamp for your visit; and
- Cookies (as defined below) and navigational data like Uniform Resource Locators (URL) to gather information regarding the date and time of your visit and the solutions and information for which you searched and which you viewed. Like most Internet services, we automatically gather this Personal Data and store it in log files each time you visit the Service. “Cookies” are small pieces of information that a website sends to your computer’s hard drive while you are viewing a web site. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our website. Persistent Cookies can be removed by following Internet browser help file directions. If you choose to disable Cookies, some areas of our website may not work properly.
4. Use of Your Data
4.1 General Use. In general, Personal Data you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. If you contact or interact with us offline and provide us with your phone number, name, street address, or email address, we will retain that information for our records, and may combine that information with information collected online or from third-party sources. We may use that information to contact you regarding events, news items, or health-related topics.The MRF uses your Personal Data in the following ways:
- Provide improved administration of the Service;
- Improve the quality of experience when you interact with the Service;
- Facilitate the creation of and secure your account on our network;
- Send you administrative e-mail notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
- Respond to your inquiries related to employment opportunities, questions about melanoma, or other requests;
- Respond to comments or messages you post on the Service;
- Thank you for your donation; and
- To send you promotional communications or our online newsletter.
4.2 Creation of Anonymous Data. We may create Anonymous Data records from Personal Data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this Anonymous Data to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may enhance the content of the Service and improve site navigation. The MRF reserves the right to use and disclose Anonymous Data in its sole discretion.
5. Disclosure of Your Personal Data
5.2 Other Disclosures. Regardless of any choices you make regarding your Personal Data (as described below), the MRF may disclose Personal Data if it believes in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to (a) comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on the MRF; or (b) protect or defend the rights or property of the MRF or users of the Service.
6. Third parties
6.4 Social Media. The MRF believes that the information contained on our social media pages might be helpful for our families and supporters. Sharing this information does not indicate an official endorsement from the MRF of the organizations from where the information was shared.
Like many other websites on the Internet, our site uses social network or third-party sharing plug-ins and widgets that may provide information to the associated third-parties and social networks about the pages on our site you visit, even if you do not “click” on or otherwise interact with the plug-in or widget. The information transmitted to the social network may include your unique identifier for the social network (that they may use to personally identify you) as well as the title (or “URL”) of the page on our site you visited. If you use social network tools or visit social networking sites, you should read their privacy disclosures, to learn what information they collect, use and share.
8. Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Data
8.2 Changes to Personal Data. You may change any of your Personal Data in your account by sending an e-mail to us at the e-mail address set forth below. You may request deletion of your Personal Data by us, but please note that we may be required (by law or otherwise) to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives.
9. Shared or Public Areas of the Service. Please be aware that if you enter any Personal Data into public or shared sections of the Service, such as, but not limited to, the chat room and bulletin board, your Personal Information will be displayed to anyone who has access to these sections of the Service. The MRF has no control over, and will have no liability to you regarding, other users’ use or disclosure of such Personal Data.
10. Security of Your Personal Data. The MRF is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Data. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Despite these measures, you should know that the MRF cannot fully eliminate security risks associated with Personal Data and cannot guarantee that unauthorized access to your information will never occur.
Melanoma Research Foundation
Attn: Website Coordinator
1411 K Street NW Suite 800
Washington, D.C. 20005
12. A Note About Children. We do not intentionally gather Personal Data about visitors who are under the age of 13.
Last Updated: March 30, 2016