Hi all - Want to say first that my heart goes out to everyone on here - mel warriors, caregivers and families - struggling with new dxs and/or ongoing treatment, especially at this time of year!!
Second - wanted to update my sister's situation to see if anyone out there has any info that can shed a light:
- A couple of months ago a brain MRI detected an osseous (bone) lesion measuring 6x4x4 on the inside of her skull in the right frontal lobe. Her brain was/is clear - it's just in the skull bone.
- Her reg. scheduled Thoracic CT had also been completed and it was absolutely clear - no sign of mel anywhere else.
- Onc ordered a bone scan - that came back as "inconclusive" on the FL skull lesion but detected a 2nd one too - it's on the back of the skull, very small, totally inaccessible and the report says (allegedly, I don't have a copy of it) that it's so remote and so small it's NOT even suspect of being a met.
- The bone scan also showed there are NO OTHER METS anywhere - spine, ribs, etc. - all clear.
- Onc ordered a CT scan of just the skull and referred all to a neurosurgeon to make biopsy decisions
- saw neurosurgeon - he confirmed he's not concerned about the 2nd site, also stated that FL growth is now 7 x 3 (?? - changing shape??) and has now ordered a PET scan and wants all other scans repeated in the next 4 - 6 weeks (MRI, bone scan and CT)
- he's also set to biopsy the FL growth and will do so by removing the whole section of her skull that's affected - with a 3mm clear margin
So ... it was alot to digest with still very few real answers. My take/questions on this is:
- this biopsy procedure sounds like a WLE to the skull - are we correct to assume this??? - we kinda thought/hoped they would maybe just drill in there a ways and take a little piece to biopsy
- is he doing the PET to decide if this really is a cancerous growth or not? If it's not mel, what the heck is it??? I hope the PET is conclusive!!!
- like last post - has anyone out there dealt with a recurrence in this area only??
At this point, we don't know that this is a recurrence - it appears that NED is holding everywhere else in her body - but it also appears that she's soon going to lose a good chunk of her forehead and she's scared to death!!! If anyone has any information to add, we'd really appreciate it.
Thank you. Peace and love to all!!!!