Hi all, my name is Regina and I’m new to all this. I’m 30, married with 2 daughters ages 6 and 3 months. Just wanted to share my story and ask a question or 2.
So I had a “weird looking” mole on my right shoulder blade/top of my back for maybe 6 months, maybe longer than that. I’m not sure exactly how long it was there. I gave birth to my second daughter in January and I know I had it WHILE I was pregnant with her, just not sure if it showed up before or during pregnancy. My husband had made comments about it looking odd and I knew it was there, just never felt an urgency to get it checked out.
Sunday March 24 of this year, we had just finished a 3 week long fast with our church and I felt an overwhelming nagging that I needed to get this mole checked out ASAP. So I told my husband I was going to make an appointment with a dermatologist he had seen. I called the next day, Monday and I had an appointment that Thursday, March 28.
I told the dermatologist I wanted a full skin check because I have a lot of freckles and moles all over and I had one or two I was concerned about. Showed her one on my chest that looked odd to me and she said it was normal and then told her I was worried about the one on my back and she said, “Yes that mole is worrying to me too.” She did a biopsy and took the whole thing, and told me she would call me with the results on Wednesday.
She called me with the results on Wednesday April 3 and confirmed that the mole was a melanoma. She told me she was referring me to a surgical oncologist, who would do a wide local excision and decide whether or not to do a sentinel lymph node biopsy. My appointment with the surgical oncologist was supposed to be Tuesday April 9. They called me the day before and said they had to reschedule for the following Tuesday. This made me extremely upset and I asked the question, “isn’t this kind of a time sensitive situation? Shouldn’t we not wait on this kind of thing?” The surgeon’s office assured me she had seen my pathology report and determined it was okay to wait a week for the consultation. I had also called the dermatologist to get her opinion on the matter - she also assured me it was okay to wait a week.
I had my consultation with the surgical oncologist last Tuesday, April 16. I found out the details of my melanoma - malignant, stage 1b, superficial spreading, 0.92 mm Breslow thickness, Clark’s 2, mitoses less than 1, no ulceration.
My sentinel lymph node biopsy and wide local excision is scheduled for next Monday, April 29. I think I’m more nervous to find out whether or not this has spread to my lymph nodes than anything else. I’m a little nervous about going under anesthesia.
if you’ve read this far, thanks for reading my novel. I think my only question so far is, with my thickness of 0.92, is there a high chance it may have spread to my lymph nodes? The surgical oncologist said the biopsy is not normally done for a stage 1, but because the thickness puts me right on the cusp, “better safe than sorry” I guess.
again, thanks for reading. Looking forward to the support I can receive here. If you feel led to share, please tell me how I can pray for you specifically (besides the obvious, complete healing of this disease). ❤️-R