You are not alone.
A diagnosis of melanoma can spur a range of emotions – from anger, denial and stress to fear, shock and even isolation. These emotions are not limited to patients, but also affect those around them, including caregivers, family members and friends.
Resources for everyone, for free
Over the years, we have found that educated and informed patients who have emotional support live longer, better lives. The MRF offers a robust library of free information and support resources that we encourage you to take advantage of; additionally, the resources below provide an even greater level of support and information:
- Online Patient Community (MPIP): Our online patient community includes the Melanoma Patients Information Page (MPIP), an online bulletin board for patients and caregivers, as well another forum for patients specifically interested in ocular melanoma. Ask questions, get melanoma information and answers, meet others and find support during your journey.
- Facebook and Twitter: 'Like' us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date with everything that's happening at the MRF! Follow our CURE OM initiative on Facebook and Twitter as well! Click here for other MRF social media accounts to follow and interact with.
- Financial Assistance: Pharmaceutical companies and private organizations have a variety of financial resources available to melanoma patients and their families.
- Buddy Program: The Buddy Program pairs melanoma patients with melanoma survivors to provide the newly diagnosed patient with support over the phone.
- Ask a Nurse Program: Have a specific medical question or need more information about your diagnosis? Send an email to the MRF nurse.
- Living with Melanoma: Learn how to manage the emotional impact of a melanoma diagnosis, learn techniques for managing stress, and the importance of nutrition, physical activity and ongoing monitoring.
Be a part of a strong support network
The MRF’s online community is one of the most engaged, active support communities available. Part of its strength lies in the stories its members share.
Your story can make a difference to others who have been affected by melanoma. We encourage you to share. Please include a picture and any other information you think is important. Submit your story.
Is there someone you would like to honor with a memorial? If you have lost a loved one to melanoma and would like to honor their memory, please submit a memorial on our website. Feel free to include a picture and any personal information you like. Submit a memorial.